Hey, can I ask you a question? What does love got to do with it?
It is no surprise what the issues are of today. We see it everywhere. The news, social media, movies, TV shows, take your pick: marriage equality, equal rights for every person. Everyone is questioning the morality of love. Everyone is secretly wondering- are people deserving of equal treatment, or hellfire and brimstone.
I don't know the answer to that question. But here is what I do know- so indulge me a little.
I do know that there are those out there searching for that special someone. That one person who understands the real you (and me). That someone who will stand by your side no matter what. That someone who accepts you for you and nothing less.
I do know that love doesn't come wrapped up in pretty little packages. In fact, it's just the opposite. Love comes with strife, doubt, distrust and it sometimes comes with a price.
I do know that love is not a fairytale or that happy ending in a movie or book. Love strives to beat the odds and to aspire to that "happy ending."
I do know that love is not prejudice, it does not judge, and it is unconditional.
How does love fit in today' world? A world divided. A world where one-half says, "be you" and the other-half says "no, you cannot be you."
Through my plain and simple eyes I do know that there are many types of love. The love of a mother or father, the sister or the brother, the boyfriend or the girlfriend, husband and wife, wife and wife, husband and husband. It comes in many shapes and forms. The one thing that is clear, however, those who do love, do it sacrificially, uncompromisingly, and without fear.
I will never understand people. I will never understand how you can pick and choose your battles. Do I judge someone for their drug abuse? Or do I judge someone for their choice of a mate? Do I judge someone for their lack of loyalty or do I judge someone for having a few drinks on the weekend? What is funny is that all of us like to judge. Period. We do it everyday. We do it in every way. If you don't think you do, you are in denial. And it's not just a river.
If we as Christians truly do love, or profess to love, then start showing it. Show it by understanding that everyone comes from a different place. A different experience. Show it by embracing rather than trashing. Show it by living a life of example. Otherwise, we are all just hypocrites living in a shadow of a perfect world.
What does love got to do with it? Everything.

No comments:
Post a Comment