What is home? Where is home? Is it a building with four walls? Is it a geographic location that you know well? You know the streets like the back of your hand? Do the memories lurk on every corner and places you've been to, experiences you've lived? What happens when you leave? Does it mean that you no longer have a home?
Sitting in my new "home" I think about my old "home" often. The familiar people, the familiar places: the just plain familiar. My heart is attached to it. My heart yearns for it. And yet it was the familiar that pushed me away. The familiar hurts, the familiar pain. I know that life is comprised of many decisions; decisions to stay and decisions to go. Decisions when we see a fork in the road and we ultimately decide which path we will take. Our heart compass takes over, and we go.
As I breathe in this warm Texas air, I remember how just a short while ago I was breathing in the cool Pacific Northwest air. What a contrast! And yet, I am now calling this home. I am faced with the reality that new memories have to be made. New familiarities will eventually be born. But something else also hits me: the realization that in my heart of hearts, I know exactly where home is. Home for me will always be my loved ones. They will always be the ones who guide my heart compass. Home is not location. It is not a building filled with material things. Home is where my children's hearts are. It is where true love and understanding exists. It is uncompromising and unconditional. It is the fuel that keeps my heartblood pumping.
As long as I have that...I will always be home.
Live Large and Be Free!

No comments:
Post a Comment