Thursday, September 25, 2014

Seconds, please!

Isn't it wonderful when someone asks, "Would you like seconds?"  Even if you are full, being asked gives you the option to go in for more or to sit back, loosen your belt, and relax. Seconds can also refer to time.  Isn't it wonderful when hours have turned to minutes and minutes have turned to seconds? What about second chances?  I believe everyone has had in some point in their lives a second chance.  I know that I have had my fair share.  Second chances gives joy to the recipient and the giver.  It is a symbiotic relationship in which both parties equally share in the gift.  

Lady our Rescue Dog

Recently, we rescued a dog from the pound.  She was found roaming the streets, starving with ribs and hip bones poking out, and covered in fleas.  Was it love at first sight for me?  No.  In fact, she wasn't my type of dog at all.  I had in my head the breed I wanted and I wasn't going to stray from that.  But Lady, that is the name we gave her, wiggled her way into my heart with her kind eyes and loving personality.  Lady now lives in what I call "Dog Heaven" with an abundance of toys, a cozy doggie bed, and a fat belly. Lady was given a second chance.



When I think back on my life and all the second chances I have received I would say that I was very spoiled.  Spoiled with the assumption that I could get away with everything and still be given a second chance.  Shame on me.  There were so many times when I did not deserve a second chance but was given one anyway.  There are times when I should have been the giver of a second chance but chose not to because of a hardened heart.  

Stubborn pride can oftentimes close our minds to giving others that second chance.  We are all so very human. As I sit and think about second chances my mind keeps going to the story of Jesus and Peter.  How many chances did Jesus give Peter?  The story ends with Peter denying Jesus, but Jesus never denying Peter.  Second chances is not a human trait.  God is the ultimate second chance giver with no limitations. God gives everyone, regardless of their past or present, a second chance with the gift of a new day. A day that is filled with so much potential and opportunities.

Today, I gratefully accept my gift.  Today is my Second Chance.



Live Large and Be Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment